Did you know that practicing mindfulness-based stress reduction techniques can lead to increases in regional brain gray matter? This scientific lingo comes from a study we found in the US National Library of Medicine. “Given the importance that the regulation of emotions and cognition play in healthy psychological functioning, the morphological changes in these regions might contribute to the positive effects of mindfulness meditation on the salutary changes in well-being,” the authors wrote. “Mindfulness meditation has been reported to produce positive effects on psychological well-being that extend beyond the time the individual is formally meditating“ (Hölzel, et. al. 2010).
If you don’t speak “psychiatry,” the simple everyday English translation is that meditation is good for us! Meditation can help us reduce stress, improve our intellectual performance and even improve our athletic ability. Today, we will share five meditation types and their benefits. We invite you to learn more about meditation at MP USA, where you can unlock the secrets of a longer, healthier life.
What Is Meditation?
Yoga International defines meditation as:
“a precise technique for resting the mind and attaining a state of consciousness that is totally different from the normal waking state…Meditation is…a science, which means that the process of meditation follows a particular order, has definite principles, and produces results that can be verified. In meditation, the mind is clear, relaxed, and inwardly focused. When you meditate, you are fully awake and alert, but your mind is not focused on the external world or on the events taking place around you. Meditation requires an inner state that is still and one-pointed so that the mind becomes silent. When the mind is silent and no longer distracts you, meditation deepens.”
While there are many types and practices of meditation, we’d like to focus on five. We’ll define each of them for you briefly and then turn you loose to learn more! Let’s get started:
- Body Scan Meditation: Body scan meditation is also known as progressive relaxation. It’s a means to relax the body one muscle group at a time, most often by flexing and releasing muscles in a successive pattern or wave. The goal of this practice helps us learn to recognize tension in our bodies and then let it go.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Mindfulness meditation is all about helping us find balance in the present. Often, our minds take us on unproductive journeys to the past or the future. Practicing mindfulness can keep us grounded in the here and now by aligning our senses with our current surroundings. This can help us avoid becoming fixated on negativity. It can also help us improve our memory, focus, and relationships.
- Yoga Meditation: Yoga meditation is a physically active form of meditation that can help us improve physical strength, flexibility, and wellness. It can also improve our mental health. Yoga meditation is conceptually similar to our Wealth of Health Fitness Program because both practices involve combining physical poses with breathwork in a multidimensional way.
- Zen Meditation: Zen meditation originated with Buddhism as a means to increase spiritual awareness and achieve deep relaxation. This form of meditation involves specific postures and practices and, like Vibravision, requires discipline and practice to achieve expanded awareness.
- Transcendental Meditation: Transcendental meditation is a spiritual practice that involves the repetition of specific phrases, or mantras. The goal of this form of meditation is to transcend our current state of being to achieve a heightened state of mindfulness.
How Can Meditation Impact Vibravision Training?
When you are a student of MP USA’s Vibravision program, meditation can help you excel as you develop and master your superpowers. One of our students, 12-year-old Gabriel, said meditation helps him focus. “It helps me relax in stressful situations,” he said. “And it helps me accomplish tasks like seeing colors and getting around obstacles more easily.”
“I see that anything is possible!” said Gabriel’s father, Alan. “With proper focus and meditation, my son’s potential is being unlocked in an amazing way.” Testemonies like this show how mediation is effective for adults and children!
If you’d like more information about how to incorporate any of these five meditation types and their benefits, plus Merapi Putih martial arts meditations into your daily practice now is the time! Find out about enrollment in the Vibravision program today by calling us at 801-940-1549!